Thursday, October 1, 2009

Cooling Out

Rex is almost four months old, and there are times when I still can't believe he's real. He's funny, and happy, but also very odd for a baby. For instance, he doesn't really like to suck, but he loves to bite and gnaw on things - my knuckles, arms, ankles, any part of my body, actually.  Feeding him is like nursing a hungry Clydesdale, or a barracuda.  Yet his eyes are unmistakably human:  deep, blue reflecting pools of light.  Gorgeous.  Unlike anything I've ever seen, actually. If he weren't such a shrieking and pooping machine, I'd be convinced he wasn't really a baby. In fact, sometimes it's like aliens are projecting an infant hologram into my house from outer space. 

And while I'm at it, where did Veronica come from?  Both of my children seem like brilliantly kooky little beings from another planet, disguised as humans.  I'm not sure what they are doing here on earth, maybe just chilling out before their next interplanetary assignment.  In any case, they're hilarious, and strange, and it's easy to see that they're related.  It seems like they share a huge secret that no one else knows about.  

The other day Veronica announced to her snack table at school, apropos of nothing, "Sometimes I go into the bathroom to do mischief.  I do naughty things.  I take cigarettes from the shelf and go into the bathroom and smoke them, and sometimes I take Rex in with me, and we just sit there and smoke and cool out."  

!!!!!!!!

Yep, Veronica and Rex are in on something.  My kids are conspiring, and one of them can't even talk yet.  Good thing he has Veronica to talk for him.  Even if she makes stuff up, it's damn interesting.  

No comments:

Post a Comment