Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sloppy Kisses

I can tell that I'm Rex's favorite because he gives me sloppy, open-mouthed kisses all the time. His favorite slurp-spot is on my cheek - right or left, it doesn't matter.  I'll be holding him and out of the corner of my eye I'll see his gaping maw coming coming at me, like a snake about to strike. Usually I turn my head just in time to prevent him from latching onto my nose, which I'm sure he'd happily do.  He's happy to get any piece of mama, and that makes me happy.  

He has also taken his rolling to a new level; today he rolled over once, and once again in the same direction, to get to a favorite toy that was across the floor.  He's pretty smart that way. At least that's what I prefer to think, not that it was on accident, or that his tubby little baby inertia kept him going.  One of these days he's going to perform a somersault, or a cartwheel, and then too I'll prefer to think he planned it.  A perfect 10 from the mama-judge.  Not that I'm biased.  

By the way, things are going to get kicked up a notch around here, and soon.  I say this because in addition to his Olympian floor exercise skills, my four-month old son is attempting to crawl.  This is practically unheard of in baby developmental milestone circles.  Again, I am biased, and definitely feeling a little braggy, but mostly I am terrified because now we are going to have to baby-proof the house all over again.  In the past week Rex has been seen, by multiple independent witnesses and on several occasions, up on his knees and elbows.  Rocking back and forth, like a baby spaceship about to take off.  His substantial buttocks and thighs are going to propel him forward any day now, and we are all screwed.  My biggest fear is that, because he's so little and will undoubtedly crawl quicker than lightening, I'll lose him in the house.  So we're back to baby-gate city for awhile, and I can already hear Veronica moaning and groaning about how hard her life will be then.

At least we'll still have our sloppy, slurpy kisses.  


No comments:

Post a Comment