Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My baby is better than your baby

He did it, he did it, he did it!

Hallelujah, hang-ten (spin around and do it again) because my amazing little boy just slept through the entire night.  I have the best, most well-adjusted infant in the whole world!  Fall to your knees and give the one-fisted power salute!  My baby is better than your baby.  Nah, nah, na nah-nah!  

Just kidding.  I'm totally lying.  I thought it might be fun to pretend to be one of those annoying moms whose babies actually do sleep through the night, little flaxen-haired angels laying peacefully upon pillows of eiderdown while tiny fairies dance above their heads, sprinkling pixie dust, blah blah blah.  Rex might someday sleep all the way through the night, when he's twelve and I'm already dead from exhaustion.  Notice I said might sleep through the night. Meanwhile, we're back to nursing at least three times from dusk till dawn.  I don't enjoy it.  I'm pretty sure Rex wakes up so much because he is precocious, because he can already roll over, fart the alphabet and write his name. I'm lying again, but only about the writing part.

When he finally does sleep through the night, I'm sure I will continue to wake up anyway.  It's just what happens.  Maybe I'll train one of Veronica's stuffed animals to nurse, so that way I can still experience the joy of sleepless nights.  She has a large seal that might have breastfeeding potential, and it looks a lot like Rex in the dark.  Or maybe, by some miracle, when my baby starts to sleep more at night I'll sleep more, too.  Not bloody likely, but a girl can hope.  If I still can't sleep I'll just become a supermom who stays up all night, baking perfectly round scones, or something equally stupid.  
On the bright side, my mother just arrived.  The cavalry is here.  She is a grandmothering genius, a one-woman fix-it elixir, a marvel of multitasking.  Nana to the rescue!  

Hallelujah, hang ten (spin around and do it again) ...  




No comments:

Post a Comment